So you’re doing a clean food (a.k.a. Paleo lifestyle) detox, and you’re trying to plan ahead. You’ve figured out breakfast (turkey & apple sausage, fritatta muffins, tigernut flour pancakes, and so on)… Now, what about lunch?! Since most of us are busy during the day, whether we are working outside of the house or managing a household, lunch is typically brief, or at least quick to create.
The easiest strategy for lunch is to repurpose protein from prior dinner’s leftovers. Here are some repurposing ideas:
- Incorporate into chunky vegetable soup
- Make open-faced sandwich with multi-seed cauliflower bread and lay protein on bread over bed of greens and whole grain mustard
- Chop and lay over salad and top with homemade salad dressing or incorporate into a ‘salad-in-a-jar’
What is a ‘salad-in-a-jar’? Essentially, it’s a salad that is packed into a large Mason or Ball jar, in a very specific order so that the salad can travel with you to work or elsewhere, without becoming soggy.
Check the suggested procedure below for creating your very own salad-in-a-jar!
- 1 quart glass jar with lid or smaller if you prefer
- 1-2 cup chopped vegetables and greens
- 1/2 cup chopped protein
- 1 tbs nuts & seeds
- 1/4 cup preferred salad dressing
- Clean jar with lid.
- Layer #1: Favorite dressing
- Layer#2: Crunchy veggies: chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, asparagus, celery, peppers, carrots
- Layer #3: Softer veggies: chopped mushrooms, zucchini, peas, broccoli, cooked beets, olives, spiralized veggies
- Layer #4: Protein: chopped grass-fed steak or ground beef, organic poultry, organic hardboiled egg, wild fish)
- Layer #5: Riced or grated veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, carrot)
- Layer #6: Greens (lettuce, spinach, arugula, kale)
- Layer #7: Nuts & seeds