Red onions are always a pretty complement to a meal, whether they are raw on a burger or caramelized in a stir fry. When they are pickled in a red wine vinegar, they are especially beautiful to look at and tangy & delicious to taste! Because onions are generally available all year, you can enjoy this recipe as a complement to any meal or a yummy late night sneak out of the refrigerator at any time of the year.
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- Horizontally stack thinly sliced red onions in glass mason jar.
- Combine red wine vinegar, honey, salt, and black peppercorns in sauce pan and heat until boiling.
- Pour mixture over onions to cover them and add bay leaf.
- Use heavy glass or ceramic dish or bowl to keep onions submerged under pickling liquid.
- Let cool before refrigerating for up to 2 weeks.