For many of us, when we think of summer, we think of barbecues with our friends and family! Commonly, these types of events are ‘potluck’ and are filled with various grilled proteins, potato salad, corn-on-the-cob, and other tasty treats. Here is a fun and healthy drink contribution that will leave you feeling refreshed during the hot summer months…
Close your eyes and imagine warm weather, a light breeze, the perfect summer day… June is always the time when we get excited for fresh foods and fresh air. It’s barbecue season. A time to savor those special moments when we spend time with our family and friends on the deck, grilling our favorite foods. It’s simple to eat healthy in the summer because there is an abundance of natural meats and vegetables and fruits. Often, these delicious and nutritious meals are paired with less healthy soft drinks. Here is a great recipe to make a delicious and immune boosting, digestion promoting, thirst-quenching drink!
- ½ cup (packed) chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups (about) cold water
- Ice cubes
- Fresh mint leaves
- Lemon slices
- Combine chopped mint, ginger, and honey in medium bowl.
- Add boiling water. Let steep 30 minutes.
- Strain into 4-cup glass measuring cup, pressing on solids to extract liquid.
- Add lemon juice and enough cold water to measure 4 cups total.
- Fill glasses with ice cubes. Add lemonade.
- Garnish with mint leaves and lemon slices and serve.
[This recipe was adapted from: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/fresh-mint-and-ginger-lemonade-200546]