Natural chicken is a staple protein in my household and fortunately, there are so many ways to prepare it, depending on our flavor and texture mood! Poached chicken is a fantastic base for making many dishes such as chicken salad which can be dressed in savory or sweet or tangy ways. Check out this fun cooking demonstration to watch how to make it simply!
Looking for more help in the kitchen? If you’re local to CT, check out my upcoming group cooking classes at The Cookshop Plus in West Hartford Center. Would you prefer more customized 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 lessons for you and your friend or partner? I also teach private lessons. Email me at AyeletConnell@gmail.com for more information!
- 1-4 chicken breasts bone-in or boneless
- 1 tsp sea salt
- aromatics examples: smashed garlic, bay leaf, 1 tsp peppercorns, sliced ginger, fresh herbs, thinly sliced onions, citrus peel (orange, lemon, lime) or citrus cut in half with juice squeezed in, or any other flavorings
- cool water
- Place chicken and chosen aromatics in saucepan or pot. Arrange chicken in single layer on bottom and sprinkle salt and aromatics over chicken.
- Pour cool water over chicken to cover by 1 inch.
- Bring water to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10-14 minutes.
- Use meat thermometer to measure internal temperature of chicken. Chicken is done when thermometer measures 165 degrees F.
- Transfer chicken from poaching liquid to plate or cutting board. Chicken can be sliced or shredded.
Tender poached chicken is a fantastic base for chicken salad-- add some sliced celery, paleo mayo (avocado oil!), a little mustard and some salt and pepper-- maybe a couple of diced pickles too-- and voila- a delicious and simple chicken salad recipe!