In the world of Paleo, there are some fantastic alternative flours available! One example is Tigernut Flour, made from a root vegetable (not a nut!) called a tigernut. Tigernuts have high amounts of prebiotic fiber which means that they are healthy food for our microbiome! With a little other stuff mixed in, you can make delicious foods such as cookies and pancakes and so on…
- 3/4 cup tigernut flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg or eggs substitute using 1 tbs chia seeds plus 3 tbs water and let sit about 15 minutes until gelatinous egg-like consistency
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients except chocolate chips into large bowl or electric mixer bowl.
- Mix well until fully incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using small ice cream scooper or spoon, place cookie dough onto parchment lined baking sheet, about 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheet and then on cooling rack and then enjoy!
Instead of chocolate chips, you can use chopped walnuts or macadamia nuts or add some raisins!