What feels more perfect then ice cream on a hot summer day? Well, apparently, most of the world agrees with me! Here are some fun facts…
July is National Ice Cream Month, according to President Ronald Regan who proclaimed it in 1984! Also, Americans are second in the world for consuming the most ice cream per person– we actually consume about 5.5 gallons per person! And New Zealand, the real winners (!!!), consume 7.5 gallons per person!!! Amazing amounts of ice cream!
Okay, I’ll give you one more fun fact– today, the Ice Cream industry generates more then $39 billion dollars every year and employs over 188,000 American workers. Wild!!!
On a hot day, ice cream can be a refreshing treat. As a Paleo momma, I love to experiment in the kitchen for me and my family and making homemade ice cream is really fun and super easy. Check out the video and recipe below! This fantastic recipe was modified from https://powerhungry.com/.
- 1 cup hemp hearts
- 1+3/4 cup hemp milk unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Combine hemp hearts and hemp milk in closed container and refrigerate for minimum of 8 hours. Place ice cream maker bowl in freezer and freeze for extended time. You know it's ready when you gently shake it and there is no liquid sound inside.
- In blender, combine hemp hearts/hemp milk mixture, maple syrup, vanilla, and sea salt and mix until smooth consistency.
- Prepare ice cream maker with frozen bowl and turn machine on.
- Pour contents of blender into top of machine and mix for 20-30 minutes until ice cream is churned and soft serve consistency. Do not over-mix.
- Gently remove ice cream from ice cream maker and fold in optional ingredients. Enjoy ice cream with soft serve consistency or place in covered container in freezer to thicken.
There are many creative options for fun ice cream flavors. Here are some ideas:
Mint chocolate chip: Add 5 drops of culinary mint essential oil and green plant-based food coloring (optional) to blender. Gently fold 1/4 cup naturally sweetened chocolate chips into ice cream when done.
Chocolate: Add 2 heaping tablespoons of cacoa powder and 2 additional tablespoons maple syrup to blender.
Lavender/Honey: Substitute honey for maple syrup and add 5 drops culinary lavender essential oil to blender. In bowl, crush heads of lavender and gently fold into ice cream when ice cream maker is done.
Pistachio: Add green plant-based food coloring (optional) to blender. Gently fold in 1/4 cup crushed raw/shelled pistachios to ice cream when ice cream maker is done.