For many of us grain-free folks, we are constantly searching for something nourishing in the form of bread to put things on! I know it sounds bizarre, but just because I don’t eat grain, does not mean that I don’t love open-faced sandwiches. In fact, my favorite treat is lathering a piece of this delicious cauliflower seed bread with raw tahini and then drizzling some honey over it– the perfect yummy dessert (or snack!)!!! Check out this wonderful recipe for baking cauliflower seed bread. I found the original recipe on paleogrubs.com. Unfortunately, the recipe called for almond flour. I tend to avoid cooking and baking with nuts because of some nut allergies in my family, so I am constantly searching and exploring substitutes. Also, the original recipe used psyllium husk which is the not the best source of fiber for the body. After multiple trials, I modified the recipe successfully using pumpkin seed flour that I made at home in my food processor (or vita mix blender) and fresh ground flax. I hope you enjoy this fantastic ‘vehicle’ for yummy treats!
Note: In the video, I use 1/2 sunflower seed flour and 1/2 pumpkin seed flour but when the sunflower seeds are broken down and exposed to baking soda, after a day or so, the bread turns green– Wait!!! Don’t throw it out because you think its moldy! Strangely, sunflower seeds have chlorophyll in them and when they are exposed to baking soda, there is a reaction that causes the final product to turn green– very strange (and cool!). Fortunately, the flavor doesn’t change at all. But the recipe below calls for only pumpkin seed flour. Typically, I keep the bread covered in the fridge and it can last for a few days (if you don’t eat it all by then!).
- 2 cup pumpkin seed flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cauliflower rice if you choose to buy a bag of already riced cauliflower, you may need to pulse it further in the food processor to get it into even smaller 'couscous' sized pieces
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup unsweetened hemp milk or other milk substitute
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 tsp raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp raw sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line loaf pan with parchment paper (this helps to crisp outside of bread on all surfaces so don't skip this step!).
- In large bowl, mix seed flour, ground flax, sea salt, and baking soda.
- In separate bowl, add eggs, milk, and honey, and mix with whisk until smooth.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry mix along with 1 cup cauliflower rice and mix well until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into tin and smooth with spatula.
- Sprinkle whole raw seeds onto top and use spatula to push slightly into batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes or longer until bread is browned on top and tooth pick test comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in tin and then on cooling rack before slicing and enjoying. If you like a more toasted bread, once you slice the bread, you can toast the individual pieces in the oven for short period of time to get crispy.
I typically make a loaf or two of this bread, let it cool completely in the tin and on a cooling rack, then slice and put in freezer bag in freezer. That way, any time I want a piece of bread for a snack or meal, I can take one piece out and toast it-- yummy!