Figuring out what to eat for breakfast is challenging, but when you add kids into the equation, that can feel over the top at times. Of course, we want to send ourselves and our kids into the world with a healthy breakfast that will keep us fueled through the first part of the day. But finding a variety of healthy options can seem daunting.
In revisiting the fundamental points of the paleo diet, there are several great options for breakfast: eggs, sausage, veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds…
Here are some great pairings:
- Sunny side up eggs over a bed of sauteed spinach with a side of sliced cherry tomatoes– Sprinkle the dish with some sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and paprika, add a squeeze of lemon juice and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
- 2 slices of lightly toasted cauliflower bread (see recipe in separate post) lathered with whole grain mustard and some smoked wild salmon over a few pieces of raw spinach.
- Cassava flour sweet crepe filled with bananas or mixed berries and drizzled with honey. (Check out the recipe below!)
Coming up with new and creative breakfast ideas can be fun if you have a relatively quick way of preparing the food. Check out this tried and true (kid-tested!!!) recipe for sweet crepes. The recipe can be versatile with what you fill the crepe with. I generally make single servings in individual bowls and use my cast iron skillet to make the crepes.
SWEET PALEO CREPES
2 TBS cassava flour
1/4 cup hemp milk or other milk substitute
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBS avocado oil
Filling of choice (small sliced banana & naturally sweetened chocolate chips; mixed berries)
1 TBS honey
- Place cast iron skillet on stove top and turn on heat to medium.
- Add all ingredients to bowl and whisk together until smooth consistency.
- Add oil to skillet and wait until coated and heated.
- Add mixture to skillet and let sit in skillet for a couple of minutes until set.
- Add filling into middle in vertical line.
- Using flat thin spatula, fold one side over filling and then fold again to create crepe.
- Let sit in skillet for another minute and then flip once more to cook last side.
- Remove from skillet onto plate, drizzle with some honey and enjoy!