One of the greatest challenges most parents feel is getting enough veggies in a child’s diet. This is a hurdle that every family tackles, whether we are well versed in natural foods or not! Over the years, I have used no shortage of creativity to create fun and delicious recipes for the whole family. The ultimate goal is to make one meal that fits all! This tasty vegetable & Bolognese pasta sauce is fantastic when paired with spiralized noodles such as zucchini or sweet potato. For those families that are living gluten-free but not yet embracing the Paleo lifestyle, this sauce is paired beautifully with gluten-free pasta as well. You can top it with regular or dairy-free cheese or even a dash of nutritional yeast to impart that cheesy flavor!
- 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2+2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tsp + 1 tbs sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbs fresh chopped parsley or 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs honey
- 4 inch piece Kombu seaweed optional
- 1 bag/box gluten-free pasta
- Enough water to fill large pot half-way
- Place chopped veggies in food processor and pulse until very small pieces (small enough to hide texture!)
- Heat up large sauce pan with 2 tbs oil. Add veggies and sauté until soft. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Remove veggies and set aside. Clean out pan.
- Heat up large skillet/sauce pan with 2 tbs oil. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink and cooked throughout. Break up pieces of meat with spatula until resembles ground beef. Move cooked meat to colander to drain excess fat.
- Clean out large sauce pan and add meat, veggies, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, lemon juice, honey, Italian seasoning, parsley, 1 tsp salt, pepper, and Kombu (optional). Heat pan on medium heat. Stir until combined. When sauce starts to boil, reduce heat to low-medium, cover and let cook for 45 minutes. Be sure to stir sauce every 10 minutes.
- When Kombu is softened, remove and dice, then return to sauce and stir in.
- Serve sauce over spiralized veggies or pasta and enjoy!