I love this nourishing and fragrant fall soup! The beautiful color and silky texture of the pumpkin paired with the tartness and sweetness of the apple makes for a flavorful combination. By adding a little seasoning and some roasted pumpkin seeds as a garnish, the final product is lovely to look at and delicious to taste! Check out my Roasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe on my blog!
- 1 sugar pumpkin or small pumpkin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp all-spice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds from inner cavity of both halves.
- Place de-seeded pumpkin halves face up on baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, all-spice, and cloves and lather pumpkin meat with 1 TBS olive oil.
- Turn pumpkin halves face down and bake in oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1/2 hour until fork can easily penetrate through outer skin. At this point, remove pumpkin from oven and let cool slightly.
- While pumpkin in baking in oven, heat remaining 1 TBS olive oil in large soup pot on medium heat and caramelize onion in heated oil until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add chicken broth, water, and chopped apples to pot. When pumpkin is cooled, remove soft pumpkin meat with large spoon or ice cream scooper and add to pot. Increase heat on stove to high and bring soup to boil, then lower heat to simmer.
- Simmer soup until apples are soft, then use immersion blender in pot to blend soup or let soup cool slightly and pour into blender to blend soup to smooth consistency.
- Add maple syrup and return to heat and mix until incorporated.
- Serve soup on its own or with a teaspoon of roasted pumpkin seeds as garnish in center and a sprinkle of paprika over surface of soup.