We've been eating boat loads of soup. Soups are hands down the best way to clean out your fridge and create a delicious, soul-feeding meal and therefore, I MUST share my soup wisdom with you. I'm a total copy cat of my Mom. I always remember her heading to the fridge and pulling out everything that could go in a soup onto the counter. She'd survey the leftovers, meats, veggies, spices and would pull out some broth from the freezer and throw it all together. It's good to get a visual on what you've got to work with before you embark on your soup quest.
I've created the ultimate list of Paleo soup ingredients and put together a huge collection of ideas to get you cooking and comfy with soup!
Choose Your Base:
- Butternut Squash
- Beef Bone Broth
- Chicken Broth
- Coconut Milk
- Fish Stock
Choose Your Protein:
- Ground Beef
- Leftover Steak
- Leftover Chicken
- Pot Roast
- Leftover ham
- Cubed stew meat
- Pork Butt (whole or cubed)
Choose Your Veggies:
- Celery, Onion, Carrot (Mirepoix)
- Bell Pepper, Onion, Celery (Holy Trinity)
- Kale (or other leafy green)
- Sweet Potatoes or Red Potatoes
- Green onion
- Green Beans (technically in the legume family but are considered more of a pod)
- Leftover Brussels Sprouts
- Asparagus (fresh or frozen)
- Lemon/Lime Juice
- Jalapeños/Serrano Chiles
Choose Your Spices (fresh is better!):
- Fresh Ground Pepper and Sea Salt
- Bay leaf (a must for any stew)
- Herbs de Provence (great with hearty beef stews)
- Thyme and Rosemary (great together, chicken and beef stews)
- Basil (great with tomato soups)
- Tarragon (great with chicken soup)
- Cilantro (great with coconut soups)
- Lemongrass (great with coconut soups)
- Dill (great with fish soups or chicken)
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt Free Cajun, Fajita or Jerk
A few tips:
- Always use fresh ground pepper and sea salt. If you can get your hands on himalayan sea salt, you're golden.
- Always start a soup with your aromatics. Onions, garlic and hot chiles are examples. You also want to sweat them, and salt them. Here's an article.
- If you're using raw meat as opposed to leftovers I recommend you use the crock pot. If you're throwing leftovers together for a soup you can just throw them in a pot on the stove.
- Every soup can use a garnish before serving. Drizzle of EVOO, cilantro, lime, raw parm if you're okay with dairy, fresh tomatoes etc.
Some Soup Inspiration (if you need a more detailed recipe, just Google That Shit (GTS) or search my site!:
- Leftover chicken and brussels sprouts soup: chicken stock base, mirepoix, spinach and brussels.
- Beef stew: bone broth base, mirepoix (large cut veggies), cubed stew meat, sweet potatoes, herbs de provence and bay leaf.
- Chicken coconut curry soup: leftover chopped chicken, coconut milk, lime, broccoli, curry powder, cilantro.
- Tomato basil soup: fresh heirloom tomato base, basil, EVOO and salt and pepper.
- Chicken verde soup: tomato base, leftover chicken, roasted tomatillos, red bell pepper, jalapeños, chopped tomatoes, cumin.
- Tom Gha soup: raw chicken breast (sliced), coconut milk and chicken broth base, lime, ginger, cilantro, shrooms, lemongrass and red pepper flakes, great with a fried egg on top!
- Mexican style ground beef soup: beef broth and tomato base, raw ground beef, fajita seasoning, onions, bell peppers, avocado, lime, green onion and cilantro.
- Leftover BBQ chicken jerk stew: chicken broth base, leftover BBQ chicken, sweet potatoes, cinnamon, jerk seasoning, allspice, paprika, habanero chiles.
- Leftover ham and sweet potato soup: chicken broth base, diced ham, sweet potatoes, mirepoix (finely diced), crumbled bacon.
- Fish stew: tomato and fish broth base, saffron threads, lemon, tilapia or trout, orange zest, fresh thyme.
- Loaded veggie and garlic minestrone: beef broth and tomato base, roasted garlic, mirepoix, kale, chard, brussels, zucchini or yellow squash, broccoli, asparagus, fresh tomatoes, herbs de provence.
- Cauliflower cream turkey chowder: chicken broth base, ground turkey, steamed and food processed cauliflower, potatoes, dill, coconut milk, bay leaf.
- Egg drop soup: chicken broth base, 4 eggs, green onion, ginger.
- Sausage and kale soup: beef broth base, breakfast or italian sausage, kale, red pepper flakes, fresh tomatoes, walnut oil.
- Bean-less Chili: tomato base, ground beef, holy trinity, jalapeños, cumin, oregano, canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, chile powder, cilantro, lime & avocado for garnish.
- Butternut squash soup: chicken broth base, squash, caramelized shallots, EVOO, lemon, ginger, cinnamon.
Live To Thrive,
LaurenAdd to Favorites