Finger Licking Paleo Hot Wings
Horray! Hello! I'm Here!
Sorry it's been a minute, I've been soaking up the sun in beautiful Costa Rica and have been trying to unplug but I just can't seem to hide these recipes away for long. Plus, I just drank a shit pile of Costa Rican coffee and need to type REALLY fast! lol. Anyway, Costa Rica is amazing, out of all the countries I've visited, people really take better care of themselves down here! You always see people running, biking, surfing and the food available is awesome. Lots of local, organic produce and I'm loving the grass fed beef! I'm in love. Here's what our trip has looked like so far!
Arrived in San Jose on September 8th, drove to Playa Cocles. We LOVED the Caribbean side, perfect water, perfect atmosphere, perfect bustling surf town with lots of surfers. Itching to be back there already. We stayed 4 nights over there an explored Manzanillo and Puerto Viejo. We went to the Jaguar Rescue Center and saw all kinds of amazing animals, I even got to let baby monkeys play all over me!! If you go, you MUST visit Tasty Waves. A sweet little restaurant and bar outside of Puerto Viejo, the owner is from Orange County, his name is Brighton and he makes the best damn tacos I've ever tasted. No they're not Paleo :).
Drove up to Arenal with a cute little backpacker girl from Alaska who hitched a ride with us (hi Sam!!). Stayed in Nuevo Arenal with a great view of the country's largest lake for 2 nights (because apparently the old Arenal is now under water!) and stayed at an organic farm. Holy amazing, we got fresh farm eggs each morning and Gaia (our host) showed us how his whole farm works. He even has a system to turn pig poop into methane gas that can power his whole house. Talk about permaculture! Officially, I want to start an organic farm. More on that later :).
Now we're in Playa Guiones just outside of Nosara. It's pretty slow around here this time of year but we're enjoying the serenity. The roads on this side aren't paved but it's nothing for our little 4x4 Suzuki Jimny! After yoga at the Nosara Yoga Institute, we're heading to Samara beach. It's really beautiful here, the surf is consistent and the beaches are big, long and white sand. Everything is so green! I can see and hear the waves as I'm writing, I could get used to this!
Make these hot wings right meow!! Super easy, crunchy, not too spicy, finger licking good!
Steve's Paleo Good's Wing Sauce. Usually, I get all kinds of Paleo goodies sent to me for free to try but I was so intrigued by this stuff, I had to buy some. Steve, you're in big trouble :). Here's my recipe for Finger Licking Paleo Hot Wings, make sure you make you some Paleo Ranch dressing to go along!
- chicken wings - 2 lbs - (get the whole wing)
- Steve's Paleo Chef Wing Sauce - 1 bottle
- grass fed butter or ghee - 1/4 tbsp
- almond or coconut oil for frying - 1/4 cup
- celery - 4 stalks, cut into sticks
- carrots - 4, cut into sticks
- Paleo Ranch - (see recipe above)
- Rinse the wings and cut them so you have the mini drumstick and wing, keep the tips for stock
- Pat dry and season with salt and pepper
- In a large pan, heat up the oil to medium high heat
- Add the wings, making sure not to crowd them or they won't get crispy. You might have to do 2 batches depending on the size of your fry pan
- Cook for about 7 minutes per side, do not disturb the wings once you've placed them in the pan. This is the trick to get them crunchy!
- Pour 1/2 the bottle of Steve's into a small pot, add the butter and melt, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the wings, fry for another 7 minutes and place on a paper towel
- Place the wings in a large bowl with the Steve's mixture and toss RIGHT before you serve them.
Live to Thrive,
LaurenAdd to Favourites