Big Ass Summer Salad
Hola! Como están!?
It's full blown summer here in Santa Barbara! The fog is here in the AM, the afternoons are seriously flawless, don't even ask me about the warm summer nights and Farmer's Markets happen 6 days a week. Sometimes, you just need a big ass summer salad to put all the joy that comes from the Farmer's Market into one big ass bowl. Pair it with a light, fresh garlic mustard vinaigrette and you'll be SO happy. This salad is JAM PACKED with seriously healthy greens and fruits and would be perfect to take to a summer BBQ or potluck (hence the "big ass"). I love you!!!
Hey Lauren! What's new with you?! Oh yay! So glad you asked. I'm halfway through my schooling to become a Certified Health and Wellness Coach and I'm really enjoying it. My website for that is launching VERY soon. Head on over and check out Finding Beauty in Wellness. I've got a sweet little free worksheet for you to fill out too.
What else, I've been scaling back my Crossfit workouts due to a cortisol scare. I've been doing yoga 5 times per week, a few days at the box of just strength and only ONE WOD per week. It feels really strange but I feel the need to get some info about cortisol out to my fellow lady Crossfitters. If you're feeling like you're hit a wall with weight loss, do a lot of Crossfit and have some stress going on, I suggest you read the articles below. This setup seems to be working for me! At least for now, until I sort all this hormone shit out. I'm losing weight, feel amazing and have been sleeping like a baby. Shoot me an email if you have any specific questions!
Cortisol is an extremely important stress hormone that helps the body use sugar and fat for energy and helps the body manage stress. When your body is producing too much cortisol, it doesn’t burn fat or metabolize sugar properly. This can have MASSIVE effects on your weight. Here are a few links from the experts to get you started! ENJOY!
Throw it in a bowl, take to a BBQ, eat it all yourself.
- For the Salad
- mixed salad greens - 1/2 bag
- brussels sprouts - 10, shredded
- Handful kale - chopped
- carrots - 3, diced
- grapefruit - 1, rind removed (slice pieces out like pizza)
- pomegranate seeds - 1/2 cup
- Handful micro greens or sprouts
- blueberries - 1/2 cup
- heirloom tomato - 1, diced
- slivered almonds or nut or seed of your choice - 1/4 cup
- sprouted quinoa (optional) - 1 cup, cooked
- For the Dressing
- lemon - 1, juiced
- garlic - 1 clove, slivered
- onion - 2 tbsp, minced
- mustard - 1 tbsp
- apple cider vinegar - 2 tbsp
- EVOO - 1/4 cup
- salt and pepper
For the Dressing
- Start the dressing up to 2 hours before you're ready to eat.
- Put all ingredients EXCEPT the EVOO in a small bowl and refrigerate (including S&P- the salt helps the aromatic's acidity).
- When you're ready to eat, whisk in the EVOO and drizzle over the salad and toss.
For the Salad
- After you've chopped and prepped all your ingredients, throw them into a large bowl.
- That's all.... haha!
Live to Thrive,
LaurenAdd to Favourites