Happy Wednesday Loves!!
Here is my super simple roasted chicken recipe. 6 ingredients including the chicken, this dish will have you licking your plate!
Three things you’ll need to know:
- You’ll have to get “chicken-y.” Put your big girl panties (BGP) on and get your hands dirty!
- You’ll have to CARVE A CHICKEN all by yourself. This can be a little tricky so check out this super helpful video.
- Make sure you save and freeze the carcass for soups and stews!
- 1 whole free range chicken (try to avoid anything that says “vegetarian fed” that usually means they eat soy! EEW.)
- ½ stick butter, sliced
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 1 whole onion, diced
- 1 pack “poultry mix” fresh herbs (tarragon, rosemary, sage and thyme), chopped
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 450. Prep the chicken by rinsing it and drying it THOROUGHLY (if it’s not totally dry it will steam instead of roast!). Place the carrots and onions in the bottom of a glass baking dish. Place the chicken on top and separate the skin attached to the breasts with your hands (here’s the “chicken-y” part). Place the slices of butter underneath the skin and sprinkle the chopped herbs over the top. Add some salt and pepper and pop it into the oven for 1 hour and check the temp on the inside of the leg, it should read 160. If it’s not there, put it back in for about 15 minutes. Let it rest under some foil for about 15 minutes and carve!
Make sure you stir the veggies in the yumminess in the pan and serve those on the side. I also served up some sauteed broccoli (EVOO, garlic and broccoli sauteed for 20 minutes on medium heat). Start this about 30 minutes into the roasting and you’ll be good to go!
Live to Thrive,