After a fun filled weekend and some cheat meals (I ate bread, and it sucked) I thought I’d write a post on how NOT to do what I did. Eating out Paleo can be tough and if you’re a social butterfly like me, it’s inevitable. As long as you read this post you’ll have some tricks up your sleeve that will leave you full and happy and without a cheat!! Yes, you’ll have to ask your server a couple questions but just smile and tip well
- Drinks: always start with mineral water with a lime. If you want to have alcohol keep it to red wine or tequila, soda and lime.
- Always ask what oil they use. Say for potatoes, you’ll find a lot of time they use vegetable oil so you’ll want to opt for a different option.
- At a Steak house: Think meat and veggies. Instead of a starchy side just order an extra large portion of veggies and a salad with oil and vinegar and lemon. Don’t forget to ask for a bunless burger (add bacon and avo duh) or check out those filet mignon bites for an app!
- At a Mexican Restaurant: Think fajita bowl! Get 2 kinds of meat say chicken and steak and add guac, salsa and jalapenos. You can also ask to turn any burrito into a bowl and just say hold the rice and beans. For chips and salsa/guac (my weakness I admit) ask if they have cucumber or bell pepper slices.
- At a Chinese/Mandarin Restaurant: Order without noodles or rice and nothing fried (yes this means no General Tso’s Chicken). Just meat and veggie melange is delicious! I love chicken and veggie stir fry with Sriracha. Also be sure to ask for gluten free soy sauce.
- At a Thai Restaurant: Tom Gha soup is the absolute best! Just mushrooms, chicken, coconut milk and lime. *mouth waters* They also typically have really good meat and veggie dishes. Curry is also a must without the rice!
- At an Italian Restaurant: Chicken Picatta is my favorite dish for an Italian restaurant, just make sure you ask them if they bread it first! A lot of time you can substitute a plain chicken breast. It’s chicken simmered in butter and wine with capers. Make sure to order a veggie or salad side. You can also keep your eyes out for meatballs and marinara sin (without in Spanish) pasta. It’s good to ask if they use sugar in their marinara as well!
- At a Breakfast Joint: Go nuts here! Eggs, bacon, ham, side of avocado. If you’re having coffee try to use whole or almond milk, if they have coconut milk you know you’ve found your brekkie heaven!
- At a Sushi Restaurant: Go for the sashimi or ask for your rolls without rice! I also like to order hand rolls with spicy tuna and veggies without rice
- At a French Restaurant: Ah I love the French, I’m French! Coq Au Vin, Boeuf Bourguignon, Lamb chops. They do it so well, with lots of butter and wine! Watch out for the flour though.
- You’re rallied by a pack of wild wolf/friends to Cold Stone for dessert- *dun dun dun!* First, let them know that they’re assholes, then opt for a fruit smoothie or if you must sorbet. Lemon or lime flavors usually have the least amount of sugar but be prepared for mad poops tomorrow
Live to Thrive,