Happy Saturday Saucy Pants!
This recipe is going to knock your socks off. Paleo Crab stuffed portobello mushrooms with roasted brussels sprouts and avocado! I was having a major seafood craving after being in Colorado for a couple weeks, come to find the selection was pretty small at whole foods for crab. The seafood guy suggested I try Miller’s Select, he said it was the best lump canned crab meat money can buy (at 8.99 a can it better be!). Important to note- it’s wild and sustainably caught.
If you don’t know, my Mom and Dad are both brilliant chefs (not by trade at the moment but by passion!). Since I’m used to cooking with fresh crab meat and I couldn’t get my hot little hands on any, I called up my sweet Mommy and she gave me some pointers over a glass of wine. She recommended I do the shrooms and the crab separate and then put them together to get happy in the broiler. I served the stuffed shrooms with simple roasted brussels sprouts and 1/2 a sliced avocado. Get the shrooms out of the way first!
Paleo Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Salt and Pep
- 2 cans Miller's Crab meat
- 1/2 white onion- finely diced
- 1/2 large bell pep (I used about 5 of the mini ones)-finely diced
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Thinly sliced raw sharp cheddar (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic- finely diced
- Small pinch fresh chopped dill
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Remove the stem, I also scooped out some of the gills to make more room for crab!
- Melt the ghee and add the shrooms in a stainless steel pan.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes on each side.
- You'll see that they'll flatten out and start to look more brown. Add the salt and pepper.
- Place the pan and the shrooms (gill side down) in the broiler for 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a stainless pan, melt the ghee on low heat and add the onions and garlic.
- After about 15 minutes turn up the heat a bit and add the bell peps. The key here is to get the onions nice and caramelized and make sure most of the water has cooked out of the bell peps.
- Add the crab, paprika and cayenne and marry for 10 minutes.
- Flip the shrooms over (gill side up) and pile on the crab stuffing.
- If you need to, you can pop the assembled shroom/crab combo back in the broiler for another few minutes. If you're using cheese, add the raw cheddar slices before you broil.
- Serve with lemon and enjoy!
Live to Thrive,