Happy Saturday Saucy Pants!
This recipe is going to knock your socks off. Crab stuffed portobello mushrooms with roasted brussels sprouts and avocado! I was having a major seafood craving after being in Colorado for a couple weeks, come to find the selection was pretty small at whole foods for crab. The seafood guy suggested I try Miller’s Select, he said it was the best lump canned crab meat money can buy (at 8.99 a can it better be!). Important to note- it’s wild and sustainably caught.
If you don’t know, my Mom and Dad are both brilliant chefs (not by trade at the moment but by passion!). Since I’m used to cooking with raw crab meat I called up my sweet Mommy and she gave me some pointers over a glass of wine. She recommended I do the shrooms and the crab separate and then put them together to get happy in the broiler.
I served these with simple roasted brussels sprouts and 1/2 a sliced avocado. Roast them in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes or until browned. I tossed mine in bacon grease before roasting . Make sure to fire up the oven and get these out of the way 1st.
Paleo Crab Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 cans Miller’s Crab meat
- 1/2 white onion- finely diced
- 1/2 large bell pep (I used about 5 of the mini ones)-finely diced
- 3 tbsp ghee
- Thinly sliced raw sharp cheddar (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic- finely diced
- Small pinch fresh chopped dill
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne
- In a stainless pan, melt the butter on low heat and add the onions and garlic.
- After about 15 minutes turn up the heat a bit and add the bell peps.
- The key here is to get the onions nice and caramelized and make sure most of the water has cooked out of the bell peps.
- Add the crab, paprika and cayenne and marry for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside somewhere where it will stay warm.
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Salt and Pep
- Remove the stem, I also scooped out some of the gills to make more room for crab!
- In the same stainless pan melt the butter and the shrooms.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes on each side.
- You’ll see that they’ll flatten out and start to look more brown. Add the salt and pepper.
- Get the oven up to broil and add the crab mixture to the shrooms in the stainless pan.
- Make sure the shrooms are face up and pile it on, use your hands and smash down/fit onto the mushroom.
- Top with your optional raw cheese and fresh dill. Broil for 10 minutes and VOILA!
Live to Thrive,